Expecting in November? Congratulations! November is a wonderful month to have a baby ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œ and with the holiday season coming up, it’s an especially joyous time.
Did you know that Winston Churchill and Marie Antoinette were born in November? And that’s only the beginning of many fun facts about November-born babies. Continue reading below to discover what astrology, science and other indicators can tell you about your November baby’s personality and so much more.
November at a glance
November is the final month of autumn and the last full month before winter, which is why November was historically known as the month for storing food harvested during October. It was November when farmers could determine whether their year had been successful or not. In fact, Thanksgiving is based on the idea of giving thanks for a year of successful farming prior to November.
Today, the month of November is strongly associated with the start of the holiday season. For many in the United States, you can’t think of November without also thinking about Thanksgiving, food, family, and of course the shopping craze of Black Friday. For moms and dads, there’s nothing more special than celebrating these traditions for the first time with your newborn baby.
For many, November is also known for American football. The first college football game in the U.S. was played in November of 1869 between Rutgers and Princeton.
November is a political month in the United States, as elections are held every year in the first week of the month. The U.S. elects its president every four years in November. The delivery of Lincoln’s famous Gettysburg Address was also in November of 1863.
What is the meaning of “November?”
In Latin, ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“novemÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â means nine. Fun fact: the original Roman calendar had only ten months, from March to December. November was named so because it was the ninth month.
Of course, the calendar eventually changed with the addition of January and February. But despite the reordering, the names of the final four months never changed. So, even though November became the 11th month, its etymology is rooted in the number nine.
November Holidays to Know
Most people think of NovemberÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Âspecifically ThanksgivingÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Âas the start of the holiday season. But there are some other holidays this month, as well as a few fun facts about November you may already know about:
- Veterans Day (Nov. 11): A national holiday in the United States, Veterans Day is a day to honor those who have served in the U.S. armed forces. The holiday is usually observed on November 11, which marked the end of World War I in 1918 (it’s often said that WWI ended on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month). Other countries have also celebrated the day as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day.
- Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November): Thanksgiving originated as a day to give thanks for the blessing of the year’s harvest. It was designated as a federal holiday in 1941.
- Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) & Cyber Monday: While not an official holiday, Black Friday is a uniquely American tradition of going shopping for holiday gifts the day after Thanksgiving, when many people have off from work and retailers entice shoppers with deals. Cyber Monday, the following Monday, is the online version, commonly believed to be the day that people do most of their online shopping when they return to work after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Did you know? November is also Peanut Butter Lovers Month, Aviation History Month, and National Sleep Comfort Month — so let’s hope that also means your November baby sleeps well early on, so you can get some rest!
November Zodiac Signs & Astrology
The zodiac signs for November are Scorpio (Oct 23- Nov 21) and Sagittarius (Nov 22 ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œ Dec 21). Here’s what astrology tells us about their personalities and what it could mean for your baby:
- Scorpio: Scorpios are known to be calm, cool, and collected, though perhaps a bit mysterious. They are also known to be passionate about their beliefs, which also makes them a bit hardheaded at times. Their assertiveness tends to make them great leaders.
- Sagittarius: Those with a Sagittarius sign are often curious and looking towards the future. They tend to be more idealistic, though sometimes a bit impatient. Sagittarius is known for a desire to travel, seek to understand his place in the universe and not be constricted.
Birthstones & Flowers for November
The birthstone for November is the topaz, which comes from the Sanskrit, meaning fire. Many believe this is due to the fire-like colors of the stone, which include red, orange, gold, yellow, and brown. The red and pink topaz were often used in Russian royal jewelry. During the Middle Ages, topaz was rumored to heal people and prevent them from dying. Greeks even believed that topaz could make the wearer invisible.
The flower for those born in November is the chrysanthemum. Originating in China, there are over 40 species of mum with colors ranging from white to red to yellow to purple. This flower symbolizes happiness, joy and love. In many cultures, it is also used for medicinal purposes and is believed to help relieve a sore throat, fever and headache. In China, the chrysanthemum is used in many different dishes.
November Personalities: What Science Tells Us
Not everyone believes in astrology. But real research has shown that there are indeed patterns in personalities among those born in the same month. Time magazine explained how several studies have researched links between personality traits and birth seasons.
So, what do we know about November-born babies? Research has found that those born in November and other fall months tend to have more balanced emotions, lower levels of depression and a lower likelihood of developing severe mood disorders, such as bipolar disorder.
Some scientists believe this may have something to do with evolutionary nutrition: more plentiful nutrients at harvest time may have contributed to healthier November babies.
But, don’t put too much stock in these studies. Your care, attention and unconditional love are the most important factors for a happy baby!
Famous November Babies
Which historical figures and celebrities were born in November? Here are just a few big names you may recognize!
- November 2, 1755: Marie Antoinette
- November 3, 1921: Charles Bronson
- November 4, 1969: Sean “Puff Daddy” Combs
- November 7, 1867: Marie Curie
- November 9, 1841: King Edward VII
- November 11, 1974: Leonardo DiCaprio
- November 13, 1955: Whoopi Goldberg
- November 20, 1925: Robert F. Kennedy
- November 23, 1992: Miley Cyrus
- November 27, 1942: Jimi Hendrix
- November 30, 1835: Mark Twain
- November 30, 1874: Winston Churchill
Other Significant November Dates in History
History may not tell you anything about your baby’s personality, but it can be neat to know that historical events happened on his/her birthday.
Here are some dates to know:
- 3, 1968: Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is established, though does not begin broadcasting until 1970.
- 9, 1989: Fall of the Berlin Wall, which had divided East and West Berlin for more than 30 years.
- 11, 1918: End of World War I (which we now celebrate as Veterans Day to honor all military veterans).
- 19, 1863: Gettysburg Address by President Abraham Lincoln, during the middle of the American Civil War.
Amazing Milestones! When will my baby ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¦ ?
Expecting parents love to know when their newborns will hit their biggest development milestones. If your baby is born in November, here’s when you can expect them to achieve these amazing feats:
- Smile: 6 to 12 weeks. Some gassy smiles may happen within the first couple weeks. But in just a couple more months, those smiles will be real signs of a happy baby.
- Laugh: 4-5 months. Get ready! Your baby could be giggling before spring. And when it happens, it’s the cutest thing ever!
- Crawl: 7-10 months. Every baby is different, but look for your baby to begin crawling sometime between June and September of next year. But be careful what you wish for: once they start moving, they can get in all kinds of new trouble!
- Talk: 6-7 months. Let’s face it. The first “mama” or “dada” might not be a real expression of words, per se, especially if it happens within the first couple months. But by next summer, your baby’s vocalization will really be coming along
- Walk: 9-15 months. There’s a pretty wide range for when babies take their first steps. But generally speaking, a November baby can begin walking as early as August the following year.
Having a baby shower? Don’t forget the diaper cake!
Whether you or someone you love is expecting a baby in November, our handmade diaper cakes make the perfect addition to baby showers and nurseries.
Diaper cakes are both adorable and practical. They’re designed to look like real decorative cakes, except they’re made with diapers. Our diaper cakes come in a wide range of styles and sizes, and every diaper is usable. Plus, many are topped with extra goodies for Baby and parents, including plush toys, bath wash, baby shampoo and more.
We hope you enjoyed our list of fun facts about November-born babies, and congratulations on your new bundle of joy!