Winter is always a great time to have a baby and February is no exception. Above the equator winter offers expectant mother’s an opportunity to stay cool and refreshed instead of hot and sweaty like those humid summer months. February is the shortest month of the year so it would only stand to reason that fewer babies are born during this month. February has only 28 days, except for the leap year thrown in every four years. The true term is intercalation which is the insertion of a time interval, one day, to align the phases of the moon and seasons. For all you February babies, the Latin for your month is februum and it is translated as purification. This is due to a purification ritual that was held in Roman times on the 15th of the month, always on a full moon.
Some of the events around the world shared with babies born in February are Black history month, the Chinese new year, and of course our favorite, Valentines Day. February children have the birthstone of the amethyst and their flower is the primrose although some would disagree and say it is the violet. It is not a surprise then that the color for February is purple. Purple is he color for the season of Lent and Advent which makes sense because these seasons usually begin in February. Pancake Day, fat Tuesday or Mardi grass are all events that normally fall in the month of February but sometimes end up in March.
The Zodiac sign for February is Aquarius until mid month, the 18th and then it changes to Pisces. For the Aquarians, this sign literally means water carrier and it is the eleventh astrological sign of the zodiac. The babies born in the first 18 days of February posses strong and attractive personalities. Buying any books on a strong willed child might help in understanding your little Aquarian. These guys are frank, speak what is on their mind and very self assertive. The Pisces on the other hand are very compassionate, selfless and sympathetic. Pisces means circle of life and is the twelfth astrological sign of the zodiac. Two fish are the symbols for this sign. They are more weak willed and are easily led. There is quite a difference in the two zodiac signs of February children.
For a few fun facts about February, it is the national cherry and chocolate month, which is good for the celebration of Valentines Day. Several of the founding fathers of the United States of America were born in this month. George Washington, the first president of the USA and Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president were just two of them. And finally, February 2nd is ground hog day where thousands of people gather in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania to see if the ground hog produces a shadow when he crawls out of his hole. For some reason people believe that if he does produce a shadow there will be six more months of winter. Go figure.
No doubt you have seen your doctor several times during this pregnancy.ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â And I would suppose that you like him or her fairly well, or you wouldn’t go back. At least, that is what I would hope. Do you know who will be delivering your baby? It’s important to at least partially get to know the staff at your doctor’s office as well as their roles.ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Could you, and do you want to be delivered by a midwife, an obstetrician, or a primary care/family doctor? Do you even know what yours is?ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â It’s important to ask these questions and find out the answers before it’s time to say “push!”. ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Continue reading “Doctor, doctor…picking the right provider and hospital”
Having a little human being living and growing inside you can eat up lots of your energy and enthusiasm – in fact, it can totally drain any pregnant mommy of her vigor at times when itÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s least expected. If youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢re one of those pregnant women this year, you probably already know how even a short walk from the bedroom to the kitchen can flush all the wind out of you. ItÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s harder during the holidays, even if youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢re one of the most balanced and even-keeled pregnant women ever. Add in a few dozen pregnancy hormones playing up to the mixture, and weÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢re headed for big trouble. With Christmas and New Years on its way, we thought it would be the perfect time to share our top holiday survival tips with the pregnant girls out there! These will make it much easier to get through the chaos and madness that comes with the holiday season.
- Chill, cut down, and relax! This should be the first and foremost on your thing at the moment. Cut your ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¹Ã…â€œto-doÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ list into a quarter. All your cookies donÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢t need to be homemade from scratch. While youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢re running from one store to another and popping into a dozen friendsÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ homes, do not forget to just sit down and catch your breath. Amongst the millions of holiday chores on your mind, take out some time to ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¹Ã…â€œchill,ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ even if itÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s just lying back in the car for a few seconds.
- Eat frequently and eat healthy.ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â While hopping from one holiday party to the next, try nibbling on some crackers to keep away that morning sickness, which you must have realized by now, does not happen exclusively in the morning. Eat mini meals at regular intervals throughout your day, instead of scarfing down a heavy holiday dinner meal. You will thank us for this tip when that heartburn stays away next morning. Heartburn can be very bad during pregnancy.
- Be nice to yourself. This holiday is a fantastic opportunity to adopt some proper self-care routines. YouÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ve got time on your hands. Make use of it and set some health boundaries.ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Healthy Mom= Healthy Family. Furthermore, you will want to show your children the best way to take care of their health and body.
- Be selective when choosing which celebration parties to attend. Try to only accept that invitation that really matters to you. This will allow you to fully enjoy the occasion and prevent you from ending up burnt out. For the invites that you do give a nod to, keep your activities at bay and donÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢t overexert yourself. For example, rather than being worried about whether youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ll hurt your hostsÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ emotions by taking your leave a few hours earlier than expected, remind yourself that your primary priority is to take care of you and your baby. In fact, even if the celebrations are being held at your own residence, feel free to put up your feet for a while. Instead of you waiting on the others, let them serve you.
- Say ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¹Ã…â€œyesÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ to help. One of the most harmful assumptions of motherhood is the myth that ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¹Ã…â€œI need to be able to do everything by myself. ItÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ll show that IÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢m weak if I ask for help.ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Believing in and acting according to this myth will build on your postpartum depression. Make it a habit to accept help. ItÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s good and healthy, and most definitely not any sign of weakness.
- Develop ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¹Ã…â€œtemporary thick skinÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ for your babyÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s sake. Give your mind and bodyÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s comfort precedence over what people think when it gets too tough. As you attend a number of holiday parties during this season, you will meet up with friends and relatives that might have not spoken to you in months or even years. It may be Great Aunt Edna whoÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s got an unbeatable habit of passing nasty comments. Simply ignore such comments, instead of getting worked up over it. The extra stress and tension is really something you can do without while pregnant.
- Gift Giving (with some extra thoughtfulness). A number of guests feel unusual walking into a holiday gathering without a gift. If youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢re a member of that club, why donÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢t you bring in some sparkling juice to the party, rather than an alcoholic beverage you wonÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢t be able to enjoy?
- Accept Support. With the holiday and hormones teamed up, your mood will shift gears from happy to depressed in seconds. Fight of this emotional rollercoaster by seeking and accepting the help you need ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œ whether itÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s personal or professional. Pay some visits to a certified therapist if you think theyÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ll be able to help you clear up the rough times youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢re facing. DonÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢t be shy. If your ups and downs in mood are interfering with your regular activities, maybe the best choice to be made for both you and your babyÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s sake is consultation with a health practitioner that you can place your trust in.ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â It may be anxiety or pre-natal depression that youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢re dealing with. Such conditions do require treatment although not always medicines. It could just be a concrete action plan to help you get back into your shoes again.
- Glamour up!ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Someday, youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢ll again fit into that sexy formal glittery gown on New YearÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s. For the time being, enjoy the pregnant glow no one else at the partyÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s got. Celebrate the growth (it means youÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢re well and healthy). Go out shopping and donÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢t be afraid to splurge on a dress that makes you feel beautiful and confident. Show off your gorgeous baby bump through a loose flowing or tight fitting top!
WhatÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s your top holiday tip for pregnancy? WhatÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚Â¢s that one thing that gets you right through the holiday blues? Leave us a glimpse of your thought in the comment section below.