December is a traditionally special and romantic month, and obviously includes Christmas. Although a month renowned for high levels of expenditure, December is also one of the most celebratory and enjoyable for both children and adults alike. Quite aside from its spiritual and religious implications, December also sees the ritual of present exchange at Christmas and the end of one year before the beginning of another. There are numerous facts associated with birth and children born in the month of December, from popular names for newly born babies to the number of children conceived through its duration.
Here’s six for you to share with anyone you know that is having or had a December baby:
- The birth flower for December is Holly, and as a festive symbol of Christmas this is one of the most popular names given to female children born in this month. There is a strong festive influence in the names given to both girls and boys each December, as names are sourced through their religious and Chrsitmas fable connotations. Aside from Holly, Mary and Tasha are popular for girls born during this period, whereas Noel and Christopher stand out with regards to boys names.
- There are two signs of the Zodiac that occur during December. Sagittarius and Capricorn are the two specific birth signs, and are symbolized by a centaur and a goat respectively. The traditional birthstone for children born during the month of December is Turquoise, and represents prosperity and success in the face of adversity. These birth signs and their teachings are used by many to determine aspects of their life and even influence decision making processes.
- Typically, fewer children are born in December than during the months of the summer and early autumn. December forms part of a four month cycle between November and February where the birth rate worldwide drops, and this large decrease is influenced by couples who plan their pregnancies keen to avoid giving birth during the already financially tough festive period. Though this trend is occasionally modified it is often reflective of family planning concepts and ideals.
- Although many family units plan the births of their children so that they do not coincide with Christmas, this means that more children are conceived during the months of November and December than any other. In order for couples to have a baby in August or September, they must be created during the winter months and this fact ensures that December remains one of the most romantic months of the calendar year.
- On average, there are 220,000 thousand children born in the USA every day. On Christmas day, the average number of births recorded is 172,000, and this reflects the reduced level of births through December and the festive period in particular. Christmas babies are considered to be rare and special, especially amongst Christian groups and faith, as children born on December 25 share their birthday with Jesus Christ.
- In terms of the US, a majority 51 percent of all babies born annually are boys. This trend is reflected in worldwide statistics too, where 55 percent of all children born are male. This trend fluctuates month on month, and December sees that approximately 52 percent of children that are born are boys, and just 48 percent are girls. This figure has varied over the last 40 years, as in 1960 the statistics showed that the split was 50 percent each worldwide and through the month of December.
Happy Holidays from Lil’ Baby Cakes and congratulations to all parents blessed with a December born baby.